What is a Home Loan?
A home loan is an amount of money that an individual borrows from a bank or money lending company at a certain rate of interest to be paid with the EMI every month. The property is taken as a security by the money lending company for the Home Loan. • The property can either be commercial or personal in nature.
Benefits of Home Loan
- An accomplishment – Every individual dreams of owning a house in their name. A home loan allows you to accomplish this feat and realize your dreams. This is one of the biggest financial investments you make in your lifetime and can therefore be considered an accomplishment.
- Capital appreciation– Land is an appreciating asset in most cases. Construction costs have also increased over the years. As rents get more expensive with inflation, investing in your own house can shield you from inflation.
- Benefits in interest rate– In the 90’s, banks used to charge up to 18% interest on loans. Today, you are able to get a home loan at 7.65% annually. The decrease in the interest rates coupled with capital appreciation makes it a dual benefit plan.
- Tax benefits– The Government of India has played the biggest role in boosting the home loan sector. As per Section 24B of the Income Tax Act 1961, you get a deduction of 2 Lakhs towards repayment of interest towards loans availed for purchase/construction of house (if you or your family is living in the house). At the same time, Section 80CC read with Section 80CCE of the Income Tax Act 1961 allows for a tax deduction up to 1.5 Lakhs on repayment of principal amount of the home loan. This is one of the greatest incentives for people to opt for a home loan, even if you are able to afford to buy your house with your savings.
Every customer has to satisfy the Know Your Customer (KYC) norms stipulated by RBI. You have to provide the documents relating to your KYC, employment, business, and income.
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Voter ID
- Driving Licence
- Registered Rent agreement
- Aadhar Card
- Driving License
- Lease agreement
- Latest Gas or electricity bill
Financial Documents – Employment or Business Proof
- Salary slips for the last 6 months in case you are a salaried employee (In addition, you can provide IT returns for the past 3 years along with Form 16)
- IT returns for the past 3 years in case you are self-employed (Some banks accept 2 years IT returns as well)
- Statement of A/c for the past 1 year where your salary is credited (in case of salaried people)
- Profit and Loss statement and Balance sheet for the last 2 years in case of self-employed persons
- Sales tax, GST registration certificates, if applicable
- Partnership deed in case of partnership firms (if the applicant is one of the partners)
- Certificate of Incorporation in case of limited companies(if the applicant is one of the directors)
- Loan application form duly filled in
- Signature Proof
- Copies of all property documents that can establish the chain of ownership for the past 30 years
- Encumbrance certificate for 30 years
- Property tax paid receipt in case you reside in the property being mortgaged (usually when you apply for Home Loan Balance Transfer)
Top Home Loan Providers
SBI Home Loan
HDFC Home Loan
PNB housing finance ltd.
Axis Bank Home Loan
IDFC First Home Loan